Effective Homework Assignments
What happens in therapy sessions is only aspect of how change may occur. This workshop will explore the process of giving effective assignments as well as a variety of creative types of homework to give. Ideas for getting the family to try new actions that seem inconsistent with their old ways of thinking will be addressed. We will also look at homework which introduces qualities of playfulness, exploration, or curiosity. Active exercises that help families shift perspective and facilitate the incorporation of new ideas will be demonstrated. This course will emphasize experiential learning as well as including more formal presentation.
Topics will include:
· how to destabilize problematic perspectives
· assignments which change meaning
· shifting the emphasis in clients’ stories
· use of role plays to present an idea
· how to operate within a family’s world view
· truth vs. value and how to utilize the difference
· specific techniques such as: rituals, restraint from change, choreography, playful ordeals
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2015
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Portland, Maine