Utilizing Family with Adolescent Problems
The energy that adolescents and their families bring to treatment is both challenging and a resource. We must be able to manage ambivalence and channel opposition to be effective adolescent family therapists. This workshop will present a variety of active, family systems interventions, which are appropriate to working with families of adolescents with an emphasis on difficult adolescent problems. We will focus on finding a therapeutic stance which allows the adolescent and family to mobilize positive resources.
Topics will include:
· getting parents and adolescents out of stuck positions
· creating hope, inducing playfulness and challenging limiting stories
· drug, alcohol and school problems
· managing parent-adolescent confrontations
· mobilizing withdrawn/resistant adolescents
· the transition to adulthood, launching difficult to launch kids
Date: to be determined
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Arlington, MA